Thursday, April 29, 2010

Themes of Biochemistry

The three main themes that have been discussed in this class are biomolecules such as lipds and protein/enzymes, transcription/translation and different cycles. All of these themes have been previously discussed in other classes but not to the same extent and detail as it has been dicussed in Biochemistry. They are also all connected to each other since we get biomolecules due to the cycles in the body and they sometimes start the cycles and in order to get biomolecules like proteins one has to go through transcription and translation to make the amino acid sequence and genetic codes.



Biomolecules I now know they are more than just a composition of protines made up of amino acids they can be carbs and lipids too. Mostly we focused on proteins. I learned about protein structure (secondary, tertiary etc) and what roles as enzymes they play. I learned about proteins in Biology as being enzymes in reactions and the roles they have in the body but not to this extent ad actually knowing the names of the proteins. I have also learned about proteins in Organic chemistry and some mechanisms they are involved in and how amino acids bind and the properties of the amino functional group.



Transcription and Translation I knew about coming into this course since we went over it extensively in genetics and microbiology. I did not know about the exact enzymes involved in the processes and which fall off in what order and how the processes are controlled and regulated. I feel that I hae an overall better understanding of the process from this course.



The third theme was the cycles. We have discussed the Citric Acid Cycle, Oxidation Phophorylation and Glycolysis to name the ones I feel we focused on. I knew of these cycles in Anatomy and Physiology as well as Biology. Again I only knew the basics such as what goes in and how much ATP come out. We didnt nearly cover all the steps that we did in Biochemistry. I know the steps and enzymes involved. My biggest achievement on the cycles is knowing how they all connect and I feel I have an understanding of them which I was lacking in the other classes. Biochemistry took everything I learned in my other classes and amplified it so I could see even the smallest details.

No comments:

Post a Comment